A reminder to all Google Ads advertisers that there’s two months left to utilise expanded text ads as Google are sunsetting support for expanded text ads on June 30, 2022.
Google previously announced that last August, that standard expanded text ads would be sunset for Search campaigns. Starting July 1, 2022, responsive search ads will be the only ad type for Search campaigns moving forward.
What Does This Mean For Advertisers?
Existing expanded text ads will still be able to run indefinitely. However, this means you won’t be able to edit them, but only to pause or remove them.
How Do You Prepare?
- Responsive search ads can be a good thing! Trust Google’s machine learning to deliver the best ads based on performance. Although it does remove a degree of control. However, you can ‘pin’ headlines or descriptions to specific positions. This is useful if you have certain messages that always need to be shown.
- It’s a great time to analyse your existing expanded text ad performance to find the top performing ad. Once they’ve been identified, create a new responsive search ad with that content. The goal here is to focus on reaching the “Good” or “Excellent” ad strength.
- Check your recommendation page for additional ideas to help improve ad strength.
- Use ad variations and test your ad messaging. Utilising the ad variations feature will allow you to test different versions of your assets.
- Create a long-lasting expanded text ad based on the above, so you have them in place to use in future.
For more on search why not check out our article on why Voice Search is vital for your brand’s future or get in touch with our head of media email@example.com to discuss how we can help with your search strategy.