Put simply, TikTok is an app for creating and sharing short videos.
With over 3 billion downloads worldwide, and 1 billion monthly active users, it’s a platform you can’t afford to ignore.
Anyone can upload content, so it’s a competitive space. By keeping in mind a few key tips and tricks, you can give your creative the edge.
Here’s our quick guide to TikTok best practice.
Shoot in high res
Don’t let grainy videos get in the way of your message. Quality matters: you want a clear visual for the best response.
- 2% of top-performing TikToks have a video resolution of 720p or higher
- These videos see an average 5.4% lift in impressions
The whole screen is available to you on TikTok – use it. Avoid dead space and ill-fitting creative. If you need help repurposing some of your existing content, let us know.
- Over 98% of top-performing videos on TikTok are full-screen
- Videos using the full 9:16 aspect ratio see a 60.5% lift in impressions
The vast majority of TikTok videos are shot in a vertical format, and yours should be too. TikTok users don’t expect or want to have to rotate their screen to watch your video.
- Videos shot in vertical format see a 40.1% lift in impressions compared to videos using a square or horizontal aspect ratio
- They have an average 25% higher six-second watch-through rate
Make some noise
Audio is a must on TikTok – this is a sound-on environment. This might just be someone talking to the camera, but TikTok also has an extensive music library that’s worth exploring.
- More than 93% of top-performing videos use audio
- Fast-paced tracks that play at 120 or more beats per minute have the highest view-through rate
Keep it short and sweet
Your video can be up to 3 minutes long – but shorter videos normally perform better. Use the time you need to get your message across, but aim to be succinct.
- 1 in 4 top-performing videos are between 21 and 34 seconds long
- These see, on average, a 1.6% lift in impressions
Try to make a genuine connection with your audience that aligns with your brand.
- Find your niche
- Listen to your audience. 21% of TikTokers said they feel more connected to brands that comment on other people’s posts
- Engage with – but don’t be a slave to – the latest trends
Give it a try
With its hyper-engaged community of shoppers, influencers and word-of-mouth advocates, TikTok might be the perfect place for you to reach a whole new audience.
Check out our recent article about why your brand should be using TikTok in 2022 and to see how TikTok performed for the LSE Summer School as both an awareness channel and a platform that drove low cost per acquisitions, click here.
If you’d like to discuss how you can maximise TikTok or any other digital platforms, contact firstname.lastname@example.org